Thursday, April 28, 2011

Last of the Amazons

It was such a random book for me to start reading, I snagged it at the St.Christopher's rummage sale (so it was basically free).  Based on the title and nothing else, I assumed it would be some type of historical fiction. Which I love to read, but haven't read in a really long time.  I've been reading so much "information" type books that it was a nice break for my brain to just -watch- a story unfold.  Steven Pressfield is the author, and I don't know anything about him, other than he has 2 more books (historical fiction) and I'm now going to look around and see if I can find them at the library. 

The book was amazing, twice I  found myself sniffing back tears (which is rare for me - however I guess I am pregnant)... and other times I was sitting on the edge of my seat.  I will say that if you read the reviews, people either love it or hate his writing style.  I didn't mind it very much.  My standards are pretty fair though, if the writing doesn't get in the way of the story (or the movie I'm watching in my mind)... than it's good writing.  I don't think I read much, and if I find myself reading the words than that means I'm "not that into the book".  Let me clarify that last statement "I don't read much".  I think reading means putting together sounds to make out words, I think that by this time in my life I more of less recognize words and they fly at me at super speeds.  Annaliese is learning to read.  I sort of "watch" the story unfold by recognizing a few letters and patterns in words.

I can't wait for my kids to experience this sort of "story telling".  They love reading books now and that is awesome. They look at the pictures and make up stories.  Annaliese is actually sounding out words now and finding patterns.  I'm not sure they are teaching her that at school (sheesh they haven't even made it through writing all the letters of the alphabet yet!  So I guess it's possible for a 5 year old to teach herself to read.  Apparently my brother did, so Annaliese is following in mon oncle Jay's footsteps.  I would be proud if she did!

No comments:

Post a Comment