Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tosca Reno's Power Balls and my Raw Brownie Bites!




I know, this is pumpkin week.  But last night I had the munchies (ya, big surprise there at 35 weeks pregnant).  So I was flipping through Tosa's book and came across these.  I had all the ingredients so gave it a go, about half way through making the power balls I decided I wanted to change up the recipe so I added cocoa powder and walnuts and ended up with some amazing GF raw brownie bites.   Oh yes!!!  raw and heavenly!  they are that good!  I'll post Tosca's recipe and my changes!


Power Balls:


3/4 c dried apricots
3/4 c dried pitted dates (I used 1and 1/4 cup)
1/2 c sunflower seeds
1/2 c pumpkin seeds
1/4 flax seeds
4 plain brown rice cakes (I used 2 c of rice crisps)
1/2 c rolled oats
1c agave (I only used 1/2 c)
1/2 c almond butter
sesame seeds to coat power balls

Directions:
1) place dried fruit and all seeds (except sesame seeds) in food processor. Process till crumbly
2) Add remaining ingredients (except sesame seeds) and process until mixture is of even consistency
3) Using a tbsp scoop out mixture and shape into balls, cover in sesame seeds. Place in covered container in fridge.

To make Raw Brownie mixture using half of the remaining power ball mixture;

Add 1/3 c cocoa powder and 1/2 cup raw walnuts

Dried organic apricots look darker because they weren't processed with the added nitrates!  But they still taste the same.

Dried fruit and seeds all processed.


Mixture coming together very nicely.  Easy to form into balls. (even with only half the agave) The extra dates I added more than made up for the extra sweetness.


This is after I added the cocoa powder and raw walnuts.  I was going to roll them in sesame seeds too, but decided they tasted bloody fabulous without needing the seeds.

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to tell you I tried these, with a few substitutions (prunes for the dates, honey for agave, and sunflower seed butter for the almond butter) for what we already had on hand. Yum :) Ben claims not to like it but Chris just came and took mine away after polishing off his. Next time I'll try to brownie version too b/c I halved it for the first try so I didn't have much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, the chocolate ones were way more popular around here. Mark was even popping them like candy! I think these will make a great Christmas gift or cookie exchange. I can make tons and freeze them.

    ReplyDelete