Monday, May 30, 2011

Strange prego cravings...

No no.. not ice cream and pickles... ewww...  However according to Mark this is gross, I however have eaten this everyday for the past 3 days (and twice today). 

Salsa salmon salad

1 can of low sodium salmon
3/4 c frozen green peas
1/2 cup fresh salsa (mild or medium)
small handful of rice chips (I used Lundenburg - Honey mustard flavour)


Directions:

I drain the liquid from the can of salmon and then dump it into a large microwavable bowl and with a fork crush the whole thing up really good (skin and bones also),  add the peas and salsa; mix the whole thing up and microwave for 2 minutes.  Serve with a handful of rice chips!

My other prego craving is french Canadian pea soup, but I refuse to buy it pre-made in a can because of all the sodium.  So I make it myself with a bag of dehydrated yellow peas.

Grand-maman's Pea Soup Recipe 
 most of a bag of yellow split peas
2 carrots
1 large celery
1/2 onion
2 slices of ham steak (about a cm thick and 5 cm diameter)
water or no salt added vegetable soup base (campbells makes one now )

Directions:

Dice up the veggies and saute them in hot pot, then add enough liquid (your choice) to fill to about 1" bellow top of pot, add the yellow peas and diced ham and let simmer for about 3 hours on medium heat. It you find it is boiling to much (be careful the bottom might burn this way because this is an extremely thick soup) turn it down.  The peas will soften up and it starts to look like a pot of goo... very yummy goo!

  FYI: when this soup cools it will nearly solidify, that's ok, when it warms up it melts back into soup.  I'm not sure why I do this, but I also tend to remove the white foam that bubbles to the top, it's one of those things my grand-maman did and I've seen my mom doing it.  So I guess it's your choice, if you taste it it is bitter, so perhaps that's why they take it off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment