Friday, March 25, 2011

My biased review and thoughts on FOOD MATTERS the documentary.

Yesterday I was browsing Netflix and came across the title Food Matter, I stopped and took a closer look because I own the book Food Matter's by Mark Bittman.  But they were not the same, so I checked out the trailer.  If you read my facebook status yesterday I was bouncing with excitement to actually sit down and check out this documentary.  Here is the link to watch the documentary for (4.95 USD).  FOOD MATTERS    (I didn't try it so let me know if this works?)  I looked through the itunes  store but didn't see it. 





 Sigh****  It's like someone finally said what needed to be said.  YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT!!!!.  It's 'not like we haven't heard it before.  Your grandmother's knew this truth. Muahahahahaaaa, the power we all have to control our health lies in what we put in our mouth.  And the thing is, if you don't believe me or the video, then you aren't ready to do the WORK!  Why is that? What is so much more important than taking your health by the horns and controlling it?  You work too much already/too busy? You feel too sick? You are too tiered/not enough energy? OR... You think you feel fine? If it's not broken don't fix it! (ps, just curious how old are you with this perspective? and you think you will feel different or the same in 10-20 years?)

Because, don't kid yourself, of course it's more work than eating a cheeseburger (every night for diner)  and taking blood pressure medication. I am the poster board of being on 5 different medications for 5 different issues or symptoms.  But with a better diet and exercise, I've cut down it down to one.  Last night I set myself the goal of being off synthoid by the end of the year, it is an artificial thyroid medication because my own gland doesn't produce enough - I don't think I've ever thought to ask my Dr. "why doesn't my thyroid work properly?"  I'm not even sure if it is possible to "cure" thyroid disorder, but why not?  I believe that medicine for acute injury/ailment is and will always be super important (can't live without ambulatory care obviously) but why can't chronic disease be reversed or managed without relying so heavily on drugs.  Now don't get me wrong I am not a doctor, I have no training and I honestly can say I really don't know anything about using nutrition therapy, but I sure want too learn. It seems to be consistent with what I've read  and it makes sense. (please don't get yourself all in a huffy if you think I'm classifying ALL disorders - genetic included - I'm not, how can I, I think I know like 3 out of hundreds)

Malnourishment is rampant in an society were all we do is eat.  Obviously the food we are consuming (in mass quantities) has little to no nutrients left and so the effects of this are seen in diseases such as heart conditions, cancers, depressions, diabetes, celiac and others.  So the assumption is that if malnourishment is the cause then....eat good food to heal, or too boost your immune system!

Now we also live in a country where food management and distribution is an issue.  How can lower socio-economic status folks get access to "good food".  I don't know!, I watched Jamie Oliver's - Food Revolution.  And it seems like a re-education is in order, but how about changing crops from corn,wheat and soy to super foods?  Mark would like me to note that even though the soil square footage might be the same, energy expenditure on certain crop - aka organic or berries, require a huge energy output.  In terms of labour? Who will do it?  Of course it won't be cheaper than spraying corn fields (which don't need pruning, unlike gogi berries) with pesticides, fungicides and herbicides...  "babycides"..." polute-the-water-table cides".... (ie. toxic mater for our planet, animals and us)

This issue is huge! Who has the power in Canada, the government? Mark would tell me that if the Canadian Provincial gov't could find the cure to cancer, it would be trilled to save billions of dollars on health care.  But if ' as the documentary states' US drug companies don't want us to find a cure, wouldn't they do everything in their power to prevent an actual cure? Ok well since I don't actually like discussing or debating politics I will end this here.

But what can you do right now to improve your own health?  I bet you can think of dozens!  Sooooo what is holding you back?

3 comments:

  1. It would be great if you could jump start the thyroid again, but I've been told you can't. It's synthyroid for life. I'd love to know otherwise though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have low thyroid too. I get sweaty, experience hot flashes and I am also prone to moodiness. So far, bovine thyroid has positive effects on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In about a year I will be looking very seriously into all the alternatives! thanks for the reference! ( I don't want to take any chances while I'm pregnant)

    ReplyDelete