Friday, March 4, 2011

I'm sorry but I don't want to share!!!

Oh you know what I'm talking about.  That somehtin's somethin' that you hide away so you don't have to share with your spouse or kids.  I keep sweet tarts in my underwear draw.  But tonight I wanted something chocolaty and inspired by my friend who made brownies with her kids, I got the idea that I wanted to eat raw brownie dough.  I then remembered why I don't eat sugar or other processed foods in excess and realized, I can't actually make a brownie and trust myself to only eat a piece.  Then I remembered that last summer I was all about the raw brownies that a friend of mine has given me the recipe.  I had to search my inbox, but I did find it.

OMG!!!!  I was in heaven, every spoon full of this was absolutely heaven and I didn't feel one stitch of guilt (Like I would have, had I been hoovering sugar and butter laden brownies).  I didn't eat all of it but I had enough to satisfy what I had a hankering for.  To make these you need a food processor.  And of course I didn't wait 2 hours to dig in because I wanted the raw effect.  Cooling it makes it firm and more  bar/brownie like.  I wanted ewey and gooey!  ahhhh... 

BROWNIES

1.5C raw walnuts (unsoaked)
10 pitted medjool dates, soaked about 30 mins
1/2C carob or cocoa powder (unsweetened)
2 tsp water

- Process walnuts until very finely ground (*save some if you like crunchy walnuts in your brownie)
- Add dates & process until it sticks together
- Add carob/cocoa and process until well mixed
- Add water & mix briefly
-Stir in saved walnut pieces
- Pack firmly into square container and refrigerate or freeze (at least 2hrs before eating)

  If you try these, let me know what you think? Would you hide them to keep only for yourself?  I'm not sure what I'll do in the morning, I might want my kids to try these and maybe next time I'll get them to help me.  Tonight I went for mini pizza's and I got the kids to top their own pizza's and I was seriously surprised at how many veggies they put on their own pizza's and then ate them :)  who knew.

2 comments:

  1. It says you process walnuts and salt...but there isn't salt in the ingredients...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ya, sorry about that. I modified the original recipe to suit my needs. You can do the same. The original had added dried cherries and a tsp of cherry extract. (But I don't like cherries)

    I have thought about adding rum to the recipe and making rum balls :)

    ReplyDelete