Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 3: A Pot of Decaf

This morning promised to be a miserable one.  Luke and Annaliese woke up at some point in the night to reenact the war of 1812, first Luke climbed into bed with Annaliese, not sure at this point if he did this for warmth or just to cuddle, but Annaliese was having none of it.  Thus begins the massive middle of the night arguing between siblings.  Annaliese didn't want him up there, and he didn't want to leave, she yells louder and louder, Luke gets annoyed and starts throwing her stuff off the top bunk just to piss her off even more.  Mark starts yelling at the kids to be quiet and go back to bed, then they start to argue over who gets to sleep with Mark.  Meanwhile, I'm in some sort of daze and don't really know what is going on and I tell Luke and Annaliese to get back in their own respective beds, which then causes an avalanche of emotions from both my offspring.  So finally I give up and put in my ear plugs and I think Mark is considering the living room couches, they finally sort it out and ... wake up before 6 AM????  What in the name of all that is holy is that?  How is that even possible, can't these kids actually sleep in for once in their lives, when we don't actually have to run out of the house.  It's the first day of Annaliese's March Break, so I thought, woohoo, it should be like a saturday.  Ha ha... right!

So after finally getting the two rebels dressed, the angel slept in mind you!, and everyone fed.  I got the monkeys out the door by 9:30, armed and ready for a morning out.  I had bathing suits, towels, snacks and 6 cups of decaf coffee tucked away in a thermos and travel mug!  So maybe that's cheating, I might be getting a bit of caffeine but don't you think I deserve it?  Well I do!  We actually had a great swim, who cares if it's the coffee placebo effect.  It was hot and black and sooo good!   The pool was the warm and shallow.  The kids had a blast.  Annaliese is turning into a regular little fish, I didn't push anything on her, but by the end she could jump off the wall and swim under water a few meters!  Jeeze and how much money have we spent on swimming lessons and they couldn't even get her to put her face in the water!

Yes, all 3 kids took a nap, I woke Annaliese up though, because I wanted them to get to bed nice and early tonight.  Ha ha, it worked.  While they napped, I was able to make a batch of soup, clean up a bit, and most importantly sit down to eat and watch an episode of  Better With You!  It's a dorky show, but it makes me laugh.

Then the evening was a typical Friday.  We danced around to the song "I like to move it" by crazy frog (about 10 times) - good workout mind you! Then we settled down to watch Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs!  The kids love this movie, and I.... am evil, I love to point out the fact that the mayor eats way way too much junk food and look how giant he becomes and how the kid goes into a candy coma and needs celery to make him better... :)  I hope I don't scar them.  Ah, oh well.  All three were teeth brushed, read too, tucked in and sleeping by 7:30 PM, with no fighting!  That my friends, is success!  And the icing on the cake: having your kids say they love you when you leave the room, is worth all the civil wars..I mean sibling rivalries in the world.  And worth the struggle of decaffeinating myself!

1 comment:

  1. The Eat Clean cult has decended on children's movies. Horrors!

    BTW: Coffee does not taste good. It tastes like ground up pencil shavings. You need to train your tastebuds :)

    ReplyDelete