Toasted Oat Granola Bars
Makes 24 pieces
3 cups (750 mL) large-flake rolled oats
1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded, sweetened coconut
1/2 cup (125 mL) dried dates, chopped
1/2 cup (125 mL) dried apricots, chopped
1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
1/2 cup (125 mL) sunflower seeds
1/2 cup (125 mL) sesame seeds
2/3 cup (150 mL) butter
2/3 cup (150 mL) packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (50 mL) liquid honey
1/4 cup (50 mL) corn syrup
1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla
1. In a large skillet, toast oats and coconut over medium heat, stirring often, until golden, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; let cool.
2. Stir in dates, apricots, cranberries and seeds; set aside.
3. In a saucepan, bring butter, brown sugar, honey and corn syrup to boil over medium-high heat. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool for 1 minute. Pour over oat mixture, stirring to coat.
4. Scrape into parchment paper-lined 13- x 9-inch (3.5 L) metal cake pan, pressing firmly with back of spoon.
5. Bake in 350 F (180 C) oven until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack. Cut into bars. Store in airtight container for up to 5 days.
Here is my version:
2 1/2 cups GF rolled oats (not the instant kind)
1/2 cup of agave
1tbsp coconut sap
1/2 cup tahini (as the oil)
1 cup of pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup (or about a handful each of... dried cranberries, cut apricots, dried cherries)
You could add ANYTHING at this point, seeds, nuts, chocolate chips, flax/chia seeds, hemp hearts... the possibilities are endless... Just use what you have!!!
|Always use parchment paper when you are baking, it's compostable and will make your life soooo much easier!|
Pre-heat oven to 350F. I was able to toast the oats (*same as kary does), and combine the agave/tahini/coconut sap/vanilla AND mix all the ingredients together before the oven beeped to tell me it was ready! So in terms of a fast granola bar to make, this is it! Bake it for 20-25 minutes, cut it up and pack it up! (totally doable before school if you are in a pinch for snacks!!!)
|This toasted oats granola bar is WAY healthier: Low on the glycemic index, high in protein, fibre and good fats!!!!|