Monday, September 5, 2011

Last day of summer feast.

 
It's finally here, that time of year when the weather cools down, clothes and closets get sorted and organized, new shoes are bought for school and harvest feasting begin. My dad drove my brother back to university today and showed up here with a giant organic free range chicken.  I have to be honest, I haven't cooked a real meal in a few weeks.  I've mostly thrown stuff on the bbq or made salads.  But here I suppose I'm gearing up for soups and homey meals.  Here are a few pictures of diner.  We ate salad as a starter because the chicken wasn't put on the bbq till 5pm.  It was done at 6:30 though; an hour and half on the grill is pretty good to cook like a 10 or 12 lbs bird. 

Steamed rice (with garlic, tomato's and basil = all from the garden) drizzled with olive oil. About half way through steaming I through in some baby carrots (I sheeted with these, we still haven't picked our carrots yet).

Beer can chicken, stuffed with garden herbs (rosemary, oregano, parsley and sage, these were chopped up, mixed with olive oil and rubbed under the skin).  Ps:  I made gravy from the drippings (the cast iron went right on the stove top when it came in the house, garlic/rosemary flavoured, I just added tapioca starch to thicken it.

Feast... topped with fresh parsley from the garden.  (yes that is a gigantic zucchini in the back, any GF recipes are welcomed!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment