Thursday, September 29, 2011

Meet the Teacher!

Honestly I was seriously looking forward to meeting the teacher so that I could ask her a few questions.  I know, I'm starting to put myself on the 'annoying parent list', but the truth is...  I'm worried that my daughter is spending too much time drawing and colouring and not participating in anything else.  Every night I get about 5-10 pieces of artwork... It is starting to add up around our house.  This was tonights!


What I found out was that the focus is clearly on "play to learn" and that the children are completely "self directed".   I understand this to mean that " learning time/center" is completely up to the children to decide what they want to do.  They are also expected to "self regulate nd self monitor", which are huge undertakings for a bunch of 5 year old's.  But the teacher seems optimistic and was very encouraging.  I tried to ask the basic questions: what do they need to know by the end of the year? are they expected to read before going to grade 1? how much should they be able to write by June?  And to answer my question she gave examples of how the kids were already "reading and writing" and that I don't need to worry.

  So I am left to the conclusion that my child will teach herself to read and write!  They spend about 2 and half hours a day (broken into chucks) in self directed learning...  wow, no wonder I get so much artwork coming home.  I kind of miss the day's of concrete assessments, and clear and defined expectations.  Worksheets are a thing of the past!  I think my daughter would have seriously excelled at the archaic practices of the past.  Paper and pencil are becoming a thing of the past... So to all you that complain that the school system does not accommodate "every" learner, I beg to differ.  If your kid has a brain in their head, than they will be learning something and the good thing is that they get to chose what it is they are learning! So they will do it better and like learning along the way! 

I'm still getting used to this new system, but I am open minded and wonder how many more years of this type of self directed learning I will see in my children's future. 

2 comments:

  1. Any given education model can not accommodate every learner. My energetic gifted 6yo daughter acts out in the hours of self directed play. She is naturally competitive. She teams up with another girl and picks on other kids.... not what I want her to learn.

    She is now the 'trouble maker' and her abilities aren't challenged. She is frustrated.Bored.

    I have to choose to pull her out, or fight for help...which doesn't come easy and that means slapping her with an ADHD label, Which she is not. Just to get her a worker to 'baby sit' her behavior. Testing to officially label her gifted won't be done in public school til grade 3!

    Its wonderful that this model is working for your daughter. But try not to paint the world with such a broad stroke. Not all school districts follow the same model. And even if they do, it doesn't mean it works for everyone. People are different with different needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I actually don't know if this model is working for my daughter, I'm trying to stay optimistic. I beleive that as parents we need to find the best fit for our kids and it sounds like you are trying to do that! Kudo's and hopefully it works out for the best!

    ReplyDelete