Sunday, September 25, 2011

1 Pot, 3 Meals!!!

So if you are wondering what the secret is to cooking healthy food for your family, even though you are busy and tired and don't even really like cooking...  I've done the work for you!  I've read the books and tips and hints and it can be summarized in a few key points.

1- start with a base dish that can be transformed into something else (ex. tomato sauce or plain rice and plain chicken)
2- make what would seem like 3 to 4 times too much for one family meal
3- be creative and don't be afraid of serving leftovers for lunches

Here's how I made 3 meals from one pot.

Evening #1
Pasta (quinois pasta for me, whole wheat for the hubby and kids) and a giant pot of pasta sauce - for something different I added veggie crisps, which are a soy based "meat substitute".  My pasta sauce was made from crushed tomatoes (2 cans of no salt added), a can of tomato paste, onions, shredded carrots and zucchini, garlic and basil/parsley.

Evening #2
Chili made from the leftover pasta sauce, here I added beans, celery, corn and chilli powder. Served with toast!  (easy easy)

Evening #3
Chili salad (see picture)
Lettuce and spinach, tomatoes, chili, some mozza, greek yogourt and GF chips!
Tomorrow I'll post more idea's on how to save time in the kitchen.  I get it though, I might be home in the afternoon but most of you are working till 4 or 5, rush home, need to make food for your family in less than 20 minutes and then run out of the house to get to dance lessons/swimming lessons or the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment