Thursday, June 23, 2011

Watermelon after Hot Yoga!!! a match made in heaven.

I got back from hot yoga, which was hot, since it's getting hotter and hotter outside.  And when I walked in the house I darted for the fridge to find the cold watermelon I bought yesterday.  OMG was I in heaven, yes I did eat 1/4 of the melon by myself.  I don't want to know the sugar content of that much watermelon BUT.... and a big fat BUT....  I knew it was a super healthy choice because I have known and re-read about lycopene found in watermelon. 


HERE is one article detailing a study done on patients drink watermelon juice and the lycopene absorption. The gist of the article is that lycopene is a powerful antioxidant.  Which means (basically) that it helps the body detoxify those cancer causing miscreants that float around our body/cells.  The actual defintion involves a chemistry lesson about oxidating, and I'm not the expert on this stuff.  But what I do know is that I can feel good about eating a giant slice of watermelon after and already detoxifying "hot yoga" experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment