Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Second Lunch (inspired by nature) and Morning Pics

Oh man what an amazing day I've had.  First I went to Bronte park with the boys and a friend (I'll post the pictures at the bottom of the blog), then I stopped in at Longo's to grab some lunch and diner foods.  Since Leah was still in the van we decided to have a BBQ lunch at her house.  We had grilled asparagus, corn on the cob and salmon and I made a sprout salad with some fresh herbs, cherry tomatoes, sunflower seeds, olive oil and lemon juice.  It was fantastic, too bad the boys didn't appreciate the meal!  Oh well I brought the leftover salmon home and decided to use it up in a salad.

Second lunch is the perfect time to make a salad with leftovers!  So I hit up my garden and look at what I managed to find.
From left to right: Green onions, a few small strawberries, mint, oregano, chives and asparagus.  (mixed lettuce on top)


The thing with making a salad from the garden you can't just throw on "any" old salad dressing.  Something needs to inspire you, so I decided that I would chop up my 3 herbs and add them to some olive oil with a splash of raspberry infused balsamic vinegar.



Once I mixed this up I realized something was missing... Oh ya.. Some maple syrup.

ps. baby food jars are sooo sooo perfect for mixing your own dressings.




The finished product.  If you aren't brave enough to try eating asparagus raw (like carrot sticks) try cutting them up and adding it to salad.  You will be amazed at how subtle and sweet the taste is.

Bronte Park Pictures:









3 comments:

  1. Though I love BBQ season, nothing beats a fresh crunchy salad on a warm afternoon. Your salad looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andre, I was born for the outside kitchen. I love picking out of the garden and creating tasty meals. I'm blessed to have a hubby with a green thumb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it Natalie and your amazing appreciation for natural food! I will have to take a gardening lesson from you and your hubby :)

    ReplyDelete