Thursday, June 16, 2011

I'm sharing this golden nugget (my BIL found).



Don Miguel Ruiz is known as a nagual, or shaman, of the Toltec tradition. The Toltecs were an ancient group of scientists and artists that was formed to explore and preserve the practices and spiritual knowledge of the ancient ones. It is not a religion, but a way of life that embraces spirit and honors all the spiritual masters who have taught on the earth. Toltec wisdom arises from the same essential unity of truth as other sacred esoteric traditions that are found all over the world.
The Four Agreements are very simple, but very profound. To embrace and live each of the Four Agreements is to find yourself experiencing personal freedom--possibly as never before. The Four Agreements are:

Be Impeccable With Your Words
Don't Take Anything Personally
Don't Make Assumptions
Always Do Your Best

From the cover of the book:

Be Impeccable With Your Word: Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

Don't Take Anything Personally: Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won't be the victim of needless suffering.

Don't Make Assumptions: Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

Always Do Your Best: Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.

This book may be small in size, but it packs a hefty punch in terms of shattering personal illusions and opening up a path to personal freedom. I consider this book a must-have for anyone wanting to become more conscious and wanting freedom from personal stories and agreements that cause suffering.


I was reminded again today what the point of this blog was, it's not just a journal of my day, a place that I can share fun facts and recipes, it is the place that I am documenting my growth towards a happier year.  I am so glad that Peggy commented on one of my older posts because as I read back I realized that I had forgotten why I was doing this, sure I know the title helps to remind me.  But this is my journey towards happiness!  I believe I am happier, I'll have to dig up that online test for happiness and compare my scores.  But today as I was visiting the midwife and she was asking me all the standard questions, I felt strong and confident.  I believe that I am doing the best that I can given what I have.  But of course there is always room for improvement.  The above review sent shivers down my spine because of it's simplicity and it's wisdom.  I think I'll get back to making small weekly goals.  And posting them on here will be exactly what I need to keep myself accountable (keeping me honest) ha ha...

1 comment: