Monday, October 17, 2011

Pumkids made muffins.





These were a bit of a science/work of art.  I had pumpkin in the fridge that needed to get used up so I decided to recruit my boys to help me with these muffins.  Again no real recipe per se... But I can tell you what I did put in them and approximately how much, but I would really just encourage you to try baking intuitively on your own.  It's fun and it's all about making a batter that has the right consistency with the key ingredients you need to hold your muffins together.


Pumkid muffins!  (Gluten Free)

Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls, then combine. Bake at 350F for about 23 mins.

1 c arrowroot flour
1/3 c tapioca starch
3/4 c quick rise GF oats
1/4 c ground flax
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 c protein powder (mine is slightly sweetened)
1/4 c coconut sap (powder) - you could add more if your protein powder is unsweetened.
 3 tsp pumpkin spice mix

1 c pumpkin puree
3/4 c vanilla soy milk (mine was sweetened but light)
2 eggs
1/3 c + 1tbsp vegetable oil
1 or 2 tsp vanilla

pumpkin seeds to sprinkle on top of muffins just before putting in the oven. 

You could make this recipe with banana instead of so much oil, it would add sweetness (but Mark doesn't like baked banana's so I didn't add any this time).  When I bake like this, I take stock of what I have and I know that I want to make a snack that is super healthy for my kids, high in good fats, loaded with protein and low in sugar.  It can be done, I would love to hear if you've ever tried to bake without a recipe and how it went!

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see you're letting the kidlets do the mixing. I remember how you panicked last year when I let our kids make the batter for our Christmas cookies.

    ReplyDelete