Friday, October 7, 2011

Guilt Free Pumpkin Pie Panna Cotta

Ok here's the deal, while researching low GI pumpkin pie options, I wasn't happy with using artificial sweeteners as the substitute to sugar.  I was looking to use either agave, coconut sap or maple syrup.  I couldn't really find anything that I liked.  The sugar content was to high, the ingredients boasted a high fat content of whipped cream or sweetened condensed milk.  Then I started to play with the idea of making a raw pumpkin pie? Ok I know kind of gross and not really possible but it just so happened that I was flipping through my french magazine "Coup de Pouce" and I came across a Panna Cotta recipe, I recalled from watching a cooking show that milk and greek yogourt could substitute the fatty whole whipping cream option so I set out to find a recipe for pumpkin pie panna cotta.  And wouldn't you know, I found one, but it was filled with heavy whipping cream AND sour cream... BLAH!!!  So I'm back to the drawing board, I tried once to make it with almond milk and protein powder but that was kind of gross (that was my attempt at making a super healthy low sugar high protein pumpkin pie substitute) my second attempt kind of resembled the pumpkin pie smoothy so it did turn out this time!  Sooo just in time for Thanksgiving may I present you with a healthy "equally" tasty pumpkin pie alternative in the form of panna cotta.


Ingredients:

1 c milk (skim)
1/4 c water
1 package of Knok gelatin
3 tbsp agave
1/2 c pumpkin puree
1/4 c greek yogourt
3/4 to 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (to taste - depending on how much kick you like)

Directions:
1) Mix the gelatin as indicated on the package (don't stir it)
2) Bring milk and agave to a simmer on stove and remove from heat, now add the gelatin/water mixture and mix with mixer
3) Add all remaining ingredients and mix well with mixer, pour into small individual bowls(or if you want a pie pan, you can even pour this mixture over a gram cracker pie crust (cheat if you want) or pre-cooked pie shell) doesn't matter to me :)
4) Refrigerate till it sets (about an hour).  serve and enjoy!






I couldn't stop at just one bite and yes I had to add the light whipped creme, it's just not the same without it!

No comments:

Post a Comment