Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Sprouted Bean Dip(s)



I bought this package of beans at costco yesterday and I've been thinking of a way that I wanted to try it out.  I've been craving hummus lately so I thought I would whip up a batch of bean dip.  I used 2 cups of beans and 6 cups of water, followed the directions on the bag and then couldn't decide how I wanted to make the dip.  So I Googled healthy bean dip recipe and found this one..

Super Healthy Bean Dip

submitted by Katherine Lawrence of www.plantbasedhealth.com
This bean dip is packed with fiber, calcium, protein, iron and vitamins A and C.  The flavor of the spinach is masked by the salsa and cumin, so it a great way to add nutrition to a delicious snack.
1 1/2 c. cooked Black Beans
1 c. Spinach
3/4 c. Salsa
1 t. Cumin
Pinch of Salt
Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and process until smooth.  Serve with vegetable pieces or homemade baked tortilla strips.


However I didn't have cumin so I added a tbsp of Tahini *(because I was looking for something a little creamier)

The next recipe I just played around with creating something that looked and tastes like hummus but I used some tofu and greek yogourt to really boost the protein content.

 Bean dip that looks like hummus
2 1/2 cups beans
1/2 cup greek yogourt
1/2 cup firm tofu (get the kind that is non GMO and possibly organic if you can)
1 tbsp tahini
3 cloves of garlic (that was boiled in the water with the beans- to soften up the flavour)
1 small sauteed onion (to release the sugars)
1-2 tbsp olive oil
a tiny splash of lemon juice
a couple of shakes of curry powder, garlic powder and chili powder (for a little kick) - or any spice YOU like!


 I am going to be packing this as my mid-morning snack with a bag full of celery and snap peas!!! For a pumped up clean snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment