Thursday, May 24, 2012

Garden Herb Salmon with mango salsa.


So I love fish!  I haven't always loved fish, probably because when I was a kid my dad always caught it and we were served it for breakfast, lunch and diner!  (not everyday, but you know... on fishing trips and camping)  Eventually I moved out and realized that when I bought fish... Yikes it was expensive, so now it's a treat for me!  I love fish!  I've been eating less and less meat these days but then suddenly I need an oily addition to my diet.  Enter salmon!!!  super duper oily, good fats of course!  Yay for EFA's.  I was inspired by my garden herbs to season everything. 
Top right corner is my summer savory, which has a bit of a black licorice flavour.   I also used the parsley (bottom middle) in my salsa, mostly because my cilantro is from seed and is still considered a "baby" in my garden and won't get "picked on" for a few more weeks! (you can see a tiny bit of it in the very bottom right corner of the picture)

Here is my dill growing like weeds everywhere, even in the grass this year.  My fault!!! at the end of last year's season I just shook out the seeds and they must have gone everywhere!!! 

Terrible picture but I also have green onion growing and chives which I also used in the salsa.


Mango Salsa

Half a mango cubed
Couple inches of cucumber cubed
Parsley, green onion, chives all chopped up
Squeezed lemon juice (about 1/3 of a lemon) however just use it to the taste you like!

Grilled Salmon Directions

Chop savory and dill, rub on salmon.  Coat salmon and herbs with oil (I used a grain oil). Grill on very hot BBQ for a couple of minutes each side. Depending on the thickness, but I find that if you sear the outside the flesh will keep cooking but will be wonderfully moist not dried out!  I grilled my asparagus at the same time.  I did not coat them in anything when they were on the grill only after they came off did I drizzle them with olive oil mixed with garlic!


Ha ha, I did make two pieces of salmon but if you ask my brother, he will tell you that I made him give me part of his too!  I think I ate 6$ worth of salmon...  Again special treat for me, to be sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment