Thursday, March 29, 2012

Vega Brownies (GF and nut free)

These are yummy!  Too sweet for me but the kids love them!  I had a little helper for this recipe.  Yesterday a friend asked if I could suggest a healthy bake sale item.  I sent her the link to my "school safe healthy cookies" (http://keepingnataliehonest.blogspot.ca/2011/11/omg-gf-vg-nf-df-cookies-lol.html) but I also thought it would be fun to find an actual recipe for this occasion.  I however would never recommend anything unless I've tried it first, so here goes. 

Ingredients

1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup agave syrup
1/4 cup coconut milk
1.5 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup vega (whole food smoothie infusion) = I used the whole food optimizer
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup unsweetened chocolate chips (I didn't actually have any chips so I used dried cranberries)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (to make this school safe I subbed in sunflower seeds)

In two separate bowls, mix all the wet ingredients together and dry ingredients together.  Fold dry mixture into the wet ingredients - don't over mix! Pour into lightly oiled 8x8 glass baking pan (I'm too lazy to bother - I just used parchment paper). Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.

Here are the pictures!!!


This is actually the very first can of coconut milk that I've ever opened.  I was surprised that so much fat was on top (not that I mind the fat) but I did put it in a bowl to mix it up.

I melted the coconut oil, added the coconut milk and here goes the agave (personally 1/2 cup is way to much for me, I think 1/3 or 1/4 would have been enough)... but then again I haven't had sugar in nearly 2 weeks.

Patrick helping me "wisk" the wet ingredients together.

I used more than a 1/2 cup of vega (I put in two full scoops) I'm sure any protein powder you have will work also.

Dry ingredients all mixed up!


Ok so the wet bowl doesn't mix up so well, the coconut oil separates...but the end result is awesome!

Generally I don't like the kids dipping in, but this recipe doesn't have any eggs!  So Patrick is sampling, so did I!  ummm

I won't lie, it was difficult to "smooch" into the pan.

But parchment paper is always worth the extra effort. No stick, easy to cut. 

Fluffy, sweet, chocolatey and...

well received :) 

See! 

No comments:

Post a Comment