Sunday, July 22, 2012

Scattered Thoughts...

I am overwhelmed by the thoughts floating around my head these days. They are all bound and wound up together so I'm just going to put them on here and hopefully clear up some space! Sheesh. 

Here are the random words floating around my head...

transitions....50 shades of hotness...cooler 1... argh... kids who don't fall asleep...tea...(oops, very strong tea now... it's been steeping for 10mins)...running shoes...GF beer (New Grist)...missing popcorn...cravings...shoes on or off...running in the rain...laundry (wet)...peaches...weight gain...

Here is the stream of thoughs... in real time!

I can't beleive so many women are reading the 50 Shades trilogy, is it every hot and totally educational.  I mean I've read erotica but this is like hello Twilight meets Clan of the Cave Bear (by Jean Auel) with a spinkle of Anne Rice (her Sleeping Beauty trilogy).  By the way when you read on an ebook, teehee no one knows what you are reading :)   And insert baby crying again....  ohhh god who just made the 3 year old wake up crying.... who also doesn't want to sleep!  Arrggg ever!  It's like he has ants in his pants... He is twitchy at bedtime???  I mean I swear the other two kids didn't give us that hard of a time falling asleep. And yes we are doing everything to help.  His room is like a cavern of darkness, no toys in the room, no tv before bed, he's been playing and running lots during the day.  O... that wasn't bad they are now quiet.  But in the brief silence I'm reminded of my trip this morning to Exhibition place in Toronto to watch the Toronto Triathlon.  While I was waiting for the train, I could hear the birds chirping.... the birds!  That is silence my friends!  No screaming excited children, by the way I am actually looking forward to the end of summer vacation (3 weeks home with the 4 kids is long enough for me... I'm just saying)... Ah right back to the silence, I beleive I texted Mark something like "basking in the sweet silence".

So now onto the triathlon, before today I was really nervous.  In all honesty I have never even watched a triathlon on tv.  All I knew is that it involves 3 events with 2 transitions between each of these.  But now I feel pretty confident.  My first triathlon is Aug 12, something like 3 weeks away!  I'm ready for it!  Mostly because I've decided to do the shorter distance.  Then the next one is Sept 2nd and it will be the sprint distance, which is 1/2 the Olympic distance.  I was paying close attention to how the swimmers "look" in the water, are they kicking each other in the face, where would be the best place to position myself (either I swim fast and make it up front) or go on the outside of the group (that way I can pass as I want).  Anyway then I watched them as they got out of the water (no one fell over!) I've gotten dizzy when I get out the pool too fast and start to run.  They know where their bikes are, obviously they paid attention to the row and such when they were setting up.  There were something like 1200 participant so that many bikes in the transition area... Could be confusing.  Anyhow, I did observe many different methods of transitioning.  Some people didn't have to do much, they were swimming in their tri-suits (no wetsuits) so they just took off their cap, while running to their bikes.  Put on their helmets (some put on socks), and off they were.  Some of these super fast athletes already had their shoes clipped into the peddles, other people ran in their bike shoes, some people ran barefoot up to the start.  I think I'll run in my shoes.  Even though it sucks to do that, better than falling on my butt trying to put my feet into my bike shoes as I'm peddling! Ok so that's transition #1, the  second transition is from bike to run.  Again I watched many different dismounts, shoes, no shoes...etc... I think if I will have enough time I will try to take the straps off my shoes while I'm biking (I've tried with success), peddle with my feet on top of the still clipped in bike shoes, then just jump off my bike before the LINE.  This is a penalty line, at this triathlon if you missed the line you had to sit out for a 2 minute penalty.  I thought that was funny!  But anyway.  Get to the bike rack to rack up my bike, take off my helmet and put on my running shoes.  Which by the way I still don't have yet!  I need shoes!  So many options to choose from. 

Next stream... food... drinks... ahhh beer. You know since going gluten free I haven't been able to drink beer.  I've been drinking apple cider.  Which is delicious with ice on a hot day.  But that is the problem, I'm usually so good about keeping my diet really clean. But now I've been drinking a few "cold beverages" every couple of days.  And when I do that I then get the munchies for my favorite -junk food- popcorn (smart food)... stupid name, it is not smart... it is absolutely terrible for me. Mostly because I always have like 5 cups at a time.  Something like 900 mg sodium and 25g of fat.   As I re-read this paragraph I realized I know why I'm drinking so much more, I'm spending all day with my kids and when I'm not with them I'm training (or doing yoga).  I'm so wound up tight that the booze helps me chill out and enjoy the season.  And then I found New Grist, a GF beer that is made with rice and sorghum (i think a grain?), it is sooo good!  But again, not for me.  I've consciously tried to tighten the belt with processed foods (or anything with refined grains in general).  ps. I just checked wiki and sorghum is used for sugar.  Ahhhh sugar!  Evil sugar... It lurks everywhere!    So here's the thing I can live without almost no refined sugar, very little salt (mind you I do have electrolyte drinks) but cooler 1 is so strict when it comes to fruit.  And tis the season of the most amazing fruit/berries.  Strawberries/blueberries/raspberries and peaches!  ohhh the peaches are amazing right now!  Our house is on our 3rd basket of peaches this week!  I know fruit has tons of sugar, granted with a lower glycemic index than refined sugar.  But how to say no to seasonal fruit???   Well I wonder if part of my weight problem, not that it's a really big problem, but the scale is very slowly climbing up.  I'm up 4 lbs in 2 months.  Is it the different training, the massive water retention because it's hot (my clothes generally feel the same), my friends have said I'm looking beefier??  (I know that's weird even for me to write it), or lets be brutally honest... Booze + smart food = weight gain??  

Is this post too long? Ya I think so too!  I should post more often!  I'll get on that. 

Cheers

ps. space significantly cleaned up!

2 comments:

  1. You are not looking beefier by any means, definitely atheletic and muscular. You look healthy. I say forget about the scale and the numbers, enjoy the summer harvest because it won't last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget muscle weighs more than fat.

    ReplyDelete